From their early days, the Springfield Museums were referred to as the “people’s college,” reflecting their role in serving the needs of the entire region, not just the intellectual elite. Since their founding in 1857, the Museums have been a source of culture, education, and inspiration for the region. Located in the heart of downtown Springfield, Massachusetts, the Museums offer access to four (soon to be five) world-class museums and the Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden all under a single admission.
- Springfield Science Museum with live animal exhibitions, dinosaur skeletons, Native American and African artifacts, and the Seymour Planetarium.
- Michele and Donald D’Amour Museum of Fine Arts with works by Winslow Homer, Georgia O’Keeffe, Claude Monet, plus world-renowned print collections from Japan and by Currier & Ives.
- Lyman and Merrie Wood Museum of Springfield History featuring Springfield-built Indian Motocycles, Rolls-Royces, and historic firearms by Smith & Wesson.
- George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, a Victorian-era single collector museum filled with paintings, Asian decorative art, weaponry and armor, and Islamic art.
- Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden, honoring Theodor Geisel, who was born and raised in Springfield.
- The Amazing World of Dr. Seuss Museums, opening in 2017.
The Springfield Museums also offer weekly lectures, docent tours, museum courses and trips, plus monthly Culture & Cocktails events. For kids and families, there are fun activities every weekend, art and science courses, plus family performances and live animal demonstrations.
Check our website for information on traveling exhibits from around the world, plus special events like our Dr. Seuss Birthday Celebration, Indian Motocycle Day, and school vacation programs. All this, plus the Museum Store and Blake House Café!
@SpfldMuseumsHappy #EarthDay! This glass planet was made by Josh Simpson and is on display in our #ScienceMuseum. #Springfieldma https://t.co/wJ3FRC5qQN
@SpfldMuseumsRT @SPS_Mass: Free Family Events this weekend at @SpfldMuseums https://t.co/oj8zGlJ2rg (Where admission is always FREE for Springfield res…